When people hear Greek life they think keggers and bad grades. To be honest though, they couldn’t be an farther from wrong.
Here’s a few of my favorite FUN and INTERESTING facts to prove Greek life is a great way to go. These facts prove that if you work as hard as you play nothing is impossible.
1. All of the Apollo 11 astronauts were part of Greek Life.
- This includes Purdue’s very own Neil Armstrong. He was a member of Phi Delta Theta. Buzz Aldrin was a member of Tau Beta Pi.
2. The First U.S. female astronaut was Greek.
- Ms. Sally Ride was a member of Delta Zeta.
3. It is estimated that over $7 million is raised annually by Greek organizations.
- Philanthropy is a major part of Greek life. Fraternities and Sororities pride themselves on the amount of service they do, and money they raise.
- For more info on the amount Purdue University raise in Spring 2015 visit this page
4. Two of the NPHC (historically black fraternities and sororities) we founded at PWI’s (predominantly white institutions).
- This was a huge accomplishment for Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc.
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. is the ONLY NPHC sorority not to be founded at Howard University.