Have you ever thought of how big the Greek community is? I mean really thought about it in its entirety.
To put it in simple terms Greek life is huge. It spans across cities, states, and countries. Greeks can be found worldwide.
Here’s 10 of my favorite fun facts that demonstrate just how big Greek life is and the impacts it has on the world.
1. There are 750,000 undergraduate members in 12,000 chapters on more than 800 campuses in the U.S. and Canada.
2. There are over 9 million Greek members nationally.
3. In the past five years, more than 100 colleges/universities have opened up to fraternities for the very first time.
4. The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the U.S. (over 10 million volunteer hours each year).
5. Of the nation’s 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by fraternity men.
6. The youngest woman to get on the front of Forbes was part of a sorority (she was also the founder of Spanx).
7. Every U.S. President and Vice President (except two) born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.
8. A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity or sororitiy graduate. This is opposesd to the 50% of all those who are not members of a fraternity or sorority.
9. Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek life.
10. 71% of those listed in “Who’s Who in America” belong to a fraternity.
These facts show just how fundamental Greek life is in the world. There are plenty more fun facts out there. Go out and look for them…or sit tight until my next fun facts post.